Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Third Right of Every Writer-To Go Off Topic

The third right of every writer has been the most surprising to me thus far. I have never considered it appropriate to go off topic, or at least I didn't realize natural writing includes going off topic in a sense. The idea of being off topic is much broader than I realized. There are circumstances when writing is completely void of focus on an assingned prompt. These instances are considered to be "off topic" and unacceptable, but there are also instances when elaboration occurs, broadening and enhancing a piece writing. Times when writing is off topic in this facet are liberating for a writer and a reader. The natural flow of writing causes our minds to move from one idea to another, allowing our writing to grow. When these changes of ideas occur, it allows the writer to have a voice. It makes the writing personal because it is written with feeling and desire. Therefore, converting a prompt into a personal topic reveals a writer who is in tune with their writing and in tune with their voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment