As I have begun writing with my class, each of the chapters in The Nine Rights of Every Writer become clearer. The idea that writing instruction is more about guiding the process and less about dictating the process. Writing is a process that is challenging and different for writer. I have begun to observe the differences in writing styles of my students as described in the text. I have those students that despise prewriting because it serves them no purpose. The think better and direct their writing better by simply doing it. There are those writers that write wonderful work very quickly, and there are those that write equally wonderful work but at a much slower pace. A selection of my students are always eager to share their creations with their own voice. Other writers enjoy sharing but prefer that I read their work aloud. Finally there are those students who fear sharing their work. Each of the writers in my class are unique, and my desire is to enhance their uniqueness not form them to conform to mine.
An important factor I have enhanced by writing with my students is their environment for writing. I have always had the pillows, classical music, and quiet environment, but submerging into writing with my students has created a safer environment for them. As I complete the writing process, the students are able to observe my struggles, successes, likes, and dislikes. For them to see that I am not a perferct writer has brought them more confidence in their writing. It has allowed them to see that writing can be fun when it is carried through in the appropriate manner.
When I initially saw the fourth right it reminded me of my educational psychology class, how Dr. Igo described the importance of making material personally relevant so students will want to select the material over other items of interest. Choosing a topic that is personally interesting to a writer will allow writing to flow easier and become more enjoyable. This right I believe goes hand in hand with allowing students to choose their own topic. Allowing students to do this makes writing more enjoyable, but it can also make writing more difficult. Writing that is personal becomes more difficult in the area of sharing and assessment. Students will feel more vulnerable when they share a topic that they own completely. Assessing these writings also becomes more difficult for the teacher. It presents a real conflict between how much correction is needed without hampering the student's eagerness for writing.
Comments given serve as a form of assessment for writers. This is an idea that I have thought about before but not to the extent described in this chapter. I have many times chosen my words carefully to prevent discouragement for my young writers, but I never thought of this as a form of assessment. Commenting is expressing your assessment of the writing. The writer receives feedback from their teacher and peers to correct or improve upon their writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment