Allowing student writers the right to see others write is a powerful tool for instruction. As a child, similar to the author, I do not remember ever seeing my teachers genuinely write. I remember them telling me how to do it and telling me what I was doing wrong, but I do not remember any significant modeling of writing. I remember learning most about writing from making mistakes and trying to improve upon them.
As a student I can only imagine the impact it would have made on me to see my teacher writing. I always loved to write as a child, and I imagine how much more I would have loved writing to see my teacher doing so.
As a teacher I have observed that writing with my students provides motivation for students to write, producing better quality work. Sharing my work with my students has encouraged more of them to share their work as well. Sharing work has allowed my students an opportunity to assess a peer's writing. I request three things from my students as each child shares: a compliment, a question, and a suggestion, allowing the student sharing to choose their peer to provide each. Sharing in these assessments builds confidence in the writing of both the student sharing and the students assessing.
Modeling became clearer to me after reading the sixth right. I have always looked at modeling as a method of demonstrating how writing is supposed to look, encouraging students to strive for perfection. I have heard of thinking through the process of writing but never revealing the personal preferences I have as a writer, as the author shared. I also have never asked my students for their input into my work. I have begun writing and sharing with them but not allowing them to assess my writing verbally. This is a practice I would like to begin with my students.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment