Wednesday, May 6, 2009
The Ninth Right of Every Writer- The Right to Find Your Own Voice
The final right was clarifying for me. I have never truly thought deeply about voice. I related in to the point of view the writing was from, not to the fingerprint it leaves from the author. I learned that voice is what makes good writing emotional and captivating. It is when the author has poured themselves so deeply into their writing you almost feel what they are feeling. It's a tool to grab and hold the attention of the reader, and it should be coached by writing instructors for it cannot be taught. Voice is writing from the heart. Encouraging students to write with their feelings will encourage the use of voice. In order for students to write in this manner, we must provide an opportunity for choice, because passion can only come from that which we are familiar and engrossed with. Coaching voice includes asking for detail, not only in adjectives and adverbs but in verbs. I had never considered this approach before. I constantly beg for adjectives, but I have never realized the power of a strong verb. Next year when I have an entire year to coach my students as writers I will focus on the use of strong verbs. Coaching voice also includes reading aloud, encouraging students to read aloud their own work as well as reading aloud professional works in order to notice the variation in voice. Voice in ultimately telling the truth in your writing, allowing your writing to be a reflection of the author.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment