Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Carl Sandburg's Craft

Listening to Carl Sandburg’s writing as an adult is quite a different experience than the stories I remember as a child. As a child I would become consumed in his stories, in the imaginative elements that he describes. I could so easily picture the crazy characters and places he paints with his words. I enjoyed getting lost in this imaginary time and place so different than the dull world surrounding me.

To my dismay listening to the excerpt of Carl Sandburg’s writing as an adult and a teacher was a completely different experience. I was too caught up in the nontraditional grammar usage and word choice to enjoy the story behind them. I was focused on correcting the story and not embracing the story. This saddens me because I let mechanics inhibit my love and understanding of the story as I sometimes do with my students. I hope to embrace my inner child as I read more of his writing, to simply listen to and enjoy the story and not to critique it.

No comments:

Post a Comment