Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer Institute Reflection Day 4 Week 4

Thursday during Summer Institute we opened our morning with a focus on our professional writing pieces. We collaborated in our groups to share format clarification and any suggestions to help complete this important piece.

We enjoyed two demos that I will definitely be using in my classroom this coming school year. Jennifer shared a teaching demo on creating good leads, including three different types. This is something I did not teach as well as I would have liked last year. I think providing students with only three choices at the age I teach would eliminate some frustration. I also think providing them with published literature that doesn't have the best leads allows them to identify with the author and encourages them in their writing. Kevin's demo encourages the excellent character trait of appreciation. It allows students to focus on what they are thankful for that someone else has done for them. Writing a letter to this person and also creating a poem for them demonstrates how rewarding showing appreciation can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment